Fedora 12 Beta Announcement

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:41:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:39:28AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 08:15 -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:

Agreed.

> "As always, the Fedora Project continues to push these enhancements
> upstream and make them available for all Linux distributions." - it
> seems a bit odd to write this _just_ in the webcam section, when
> obviously it applies to almost the entire document. Either we should
> have a little general blurb about this at the top - something like 'The
> Fedora Project's policy is to contribute all its development work to
> upstream projects to benefit as many users of all distributions and
> operating systems as possible', perhaps with a link elsewhere in the
> Wiki to the full policy and 'list of contributions' page - or we don't
> mention it at all.

Agreed again, and I would simply leave this out.  This is a beta
announcement and not a policy statement.

> Developers and Sysadmins proposed section - I'm worried the
> announcement's already pretty long. In my experience, people tune out
> after the first half a page or so. (Most people probably aren't going to
> read past 'graphics support improvements' in the current text, IMHO).
> Still, not sure what a good solution is. A separate page would be
> equally rarely-viewed and it's hard to send out an announcement as
> multiple pages. I've been trying to keep the length of the current text
> down but it just keeps ballooning...

I made a few corrections but likely much has changed since then, and I
withheld my knife/machete/axe at the time.  We have consistently faced
a problem of what should be simple texts growing out of proportion to
their readership's attention span.

My advice: Cut mercilessly!