Fedora 14 Technical Notes

Nathan Thomas nathan.thomas at peacenik.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 12:25:51 UTC 2010

On 13/08/10 04:27, John J. McDonough wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 23:15 -0400, Mike Danko wrote:
>
>> Pouring over these,  big standout is the inclusion of ROOT. I doubt
>>
> I noticed that, but I also noticed a lot of R add-ons.  Probably a
> bigger, but similar, user base.

R does seem to be gaining in popularity at the moment. I even saw in
mentioned in a BBC News article.

> And quickly browsing the CERN website earlier, they seem to be
> positioning ROOT as a data analysis thing, not altogether unlike R but a
> little glossier and able to handle much bigger datasets.  I didn't dig
> far enough, tho, to tell whether there was really any meat there.  Of
> course, a lot of the ROOT add-ons are pretty specifically for people
> playing with particle accelerators.  Probably not a huge audience.

Yeah, the ROOT website mentioned that it was designed for use across
multiple workstations or on many-core machines. Still, there may be some
large institutions or businesses that may be interested in it. As Mike
pointed out, it's also interesting from a marketing point of view,
especially as F14 is codenamed after a major figure in particle physics.

I'll add a section to the release notes.

Nathan