Bug stomping session this weekend!

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Thu Mar 4 16:04:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 10:52 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> So how many of the guides are using git?  From my look at
> fedorahosted.org, it's the majority.  That's good because git makes it
> dead-simple to make fixes, generate a patch, and then email it to the
> list where it can be used.

I do believe that is correct, and I was aware of being able to generate
patches.  That is really good from the standpoint of a new contributor
who would likely be a little squeamish about making changes directly to
the repo.

However, if the guide owner isn't around and we queue up a bunch of
patches, it could get pretty messy.  But then, I suppose that serves as
penance for not being available :-)

> There are some good setup hints for git here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Git_Quickref

Everybody should put a shortcut to that in their browser, but I do have
mixed feelings about it.  There is a lot to git, but for 99% of the
things you do, that page goes into way more detail than you need, even
though it probably only covers 10% of what you might do.

> It would be best if guide owners could make sure they have several
> sponsors in addition to themselves who can grant user access.

Absolutely it would, and not just for this weekend.  I think it is good
practice to have some backup.

--McD