Guide/notes/document sponsorship

Eli elijahm17 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 16:15:27 UTC 2010

> On 05/06/2010 09:28 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > I'm a bit mixed on the issue.  On the one hand, I'm don't want to lose
> > the member -> committer -> publisher progression that jjmcd mentioned.
> >  I definitely don't think that we should hand new members commit
> > access everywhere right off.  This is both for the sanity of the
> > documents and the sanity of the new members.  I see no reason that new
> > members can't just upload patches to new or existing bugs until they
> > get more comfortable.  After some vague and poorly-defined period or
> > level of confidence/competence, then we can move from member to
> > committer.
>
> Remember when you were a kid and you didn't know what you could do?  You
> either a) watched other people to see what you could do or b) jumped off
> the roof thinking you might be able to fly.
>
> New members in the Docs Project are much the same way.  They probably
> won't know what the docs group gives them access to do until someone
> tells them.  That goes along with the training and bringing the new
> member up to speed.
>
> If they decide to jump off the roof...  well, I guess we can cross that
> bridge when we get there.

I totally agree with Sparks on this one. But I also agree with Ben that
the progression from member to publisher should still somehow be
intact.
It should also depend on who the person is. Some people have more
experience than others and some have  more drive to jump right in and
start learning and helping. Some are more cautious. So it would be nice
to take it on a per basis approach.

Eli