RFC: Wiki Gardening... it's time to pull up the weeds

Christopher Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 20 15:25:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-20 at 11:12 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 10:33:36AM -0400, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> > 1. Immediately move the oldest 2460 pages to Archive: and remove their
> > categories.
>
> This makes me a little bit worried. What if there is valuable but basically
> unchanged information there?
>
> I agree that cleanup is necessary, but this seems dangerous.

That's a good point. Can we find out how often wiki pages are viewed?
That might be more useful.

Perhaps we could use a "staging" area (like an {{oldest}} category) for
the oldest 2460 pages too.

While I'm always hesitant to ask people for more effort (especially
myself...), I wonder if we could do this in steps of, say, 500 pages at
a time.

The first 500 pages could be moved into the {{oldest}} category and kept
there for a week. Interested contributors can review the pages if they
wish, and remove them from the archival queue as relevant. Remaining
pages can be archived after a week when another 500 old pages can be
moved into the staging area.

I just saw Pete's email, and it seems like we can use wikibots to
automate the staging?

Christopher