[Fedora-electronic-lab] FEL

Rangeen Basu sherry151 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:49:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM, sandeep
vijayakumar<sandy_711 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>      I downloaded the FEL live DVD yesterday, and tried it on my laptop, but
> unfortunately found it to be too slow. It took a long time to boot from the
> DVD. Any ideas.suggestions on how to improve the speed?

Live CD/DVD is supposed to take time to boot even if you have a lot of
RAM and a high speed processor. The whole OS is read from the DVD and
loaded to RAM and then the OS runs from RAM. This reading and loading
of data from DVD to RAM takes a lot of time as compared to loading an
OS from hard disc since CD/DVD drive is  slow device, about 10MBps
(Hard disc can be as fast as 100 MBps or more) . So it is natural that
it will take time to boot. Once the OS is loaded, it will run smoothly
if you have more than 1 GB of RAM. If RAM is less than that, it will
be a bit sluggish but will still run.

P.S: You should not use the EDA tools in live mode because all your
changes will be lost. It is better to install it on your hard disc and
then use them.
--
Regards
Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury