Summary/Minutes from today's Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2014-02-18)

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 17:49:38 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 05:20 PM, Deborah Rieden wrote:
> [...]
>>> Staging
>>> Incubation
>>> Easy
>>> Playground
>>> Mantle
>>> Experimental
>>> Unstable
>>
>> Since we decided to start with a single repository that would implement
>> an "ugly"-like repository, I would prefer not to use names like Staging,
>> Incubation, since they hint at a different kind of repository that we
>> might have in the future.
>>
>> My preferences so far are:
>> Playground > Easy > Experimental > Mantle
>>
>> My argument for the Playground name is that we want to invite new
>> contributors/packagers and let them play with Fedora, without requiring
>> them to know all the intricacies of the current Fedora Packaging
>> Guidelines (FPG). And afterwards, it is their choice:
>> 1) Their packages can stay in the Playground repo forever (maybe because
>> it would be very unpractical to meet the FPG, or they simply don't care
>> enough to work on being FPG compliant)
>> 2) Their packages would improve over-time and steadily become FPG
>> compliant. At the end, they would just submit their package for a formal
>> review and have it included in Fedora's main repo.
>>
>> Looking at the name from the repo's consumers point-of-view, it would
>> indicate them that things here are "young by heart". Some packages may
>> be quite rough, while others might be more mature and closer to being
>> FPG compliant. Of course, like in real life, some packages will always
>> remain "young by heart".
>
> I like the reasoning that you have presented.
>
> My highest preference is for playground.  In addition to what Tadej has
> written I think "playground" conveys a sense of space and openness.
> In a playground there are some rules, everyone can join and play in the playground.
>
> Some of the other terms have a negative connotation: unstable, experimental, incubation, ugly.
>
> Staging implies that there has been some work and is in a good state.  This seems
> to indicate that things are farther along than in a playground.
>
> Easy seems vague to me.  But it does sound inviting.
> Mantle initially conjures images of a fireplace.

All these names can be understood differently by native and non-native
speakers, so thanks for the summary.

We should probably decide tomorrow if we want to "invite new people"
(playground feels like the best match for me) or "warn people" before
destroying their machines by installing things from unstable or
experimental. And finally, incubation seems like a middle ground to me
-- "let's create something new, with a bit more risk".

Honza