vote on PRD

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 21:28:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 04:13:31PM +0100, Tadej Janež wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 14:08 +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> > On 01/17/2014 11:56 AM, Tadej Janež wrote:
> > >
> > > However, we still need to answer the question: "What goals does the
> > > Environment and Stacks Working Group have for the Software Collections?"
> > > In other words, how will Software Collections (and further work on them)
> > > fulfil the mission of packaging, testing and delivering the various
> > > existing and new software stacks in Fedora?
> > >
> > I can cut the proposal of SCL to provide scl-utils in Fedora as a
> > possibility to provide SCLs. But that's not what other products
> > dependent on SCLs wanted.
>
> Hmm, I don't understand what you meant here?
>
> I worked on improving the wording of the SCL section but I didn't put it
> in, since some people already voted on the PRD.
>
> Here is the new version:
> === SCLs ===
> Software Collections (SCLs) are a technology that enables one to build
> and concurrently install multiple versions of the same software
> components on a given system. They also have no impact on the system
> versions of the packages installed by any of the conventional RPM
> package management utilities. As such, SCLs will be useful for providing
> various (incompatible) versions of software stacks in Fedora. The goals
> which our WG has with SCLs are the following:
>
> * Work on getting SCLs into Fedora so they can be used by Fedora
> Products.
> ** Example: Fedora Cloud is a product that often depends on a specific
> version of Ruby, so it will benefit from having a means for providing
> the required version of Ruby via a SCL.
> approval of the [[Packaging_Committee|Fedora Packaging Committee]]. Most
> probably each SCL will be added into Fedora as a system-wide change.
>
> * Cooperate with the SCL Upstream on enabling Fedora users to install
> and use the SCLs provided by the SCL Upstream. This will extend the
> number and diversity of software stacks available to Fedora users.
>
> * [https://fedorahosted.org/SoftwareCollections/ scl-utils] is a set of
> utilities that allows one to package, build and run SCLs. We will
> cooperate with the scl-utils upstream to incorporate the requirements
> that will arise when we make SCLs available in Fedora.
> bigger changes.
>
> I hope this makes it in, but I vote +1 regardless.

I like this but I'd make some changes:

=== SCLs ===
Software Collections (SCLs) are a technology that enables one to build
and concurrently install multiple versions of the same software
components on a given system. They also have no impact on the system
versions of the packages installed by any of the conventional RPM
package management utilities. As such, SCLs will be useful for providing
various (incompatible) versions of software stacks in Fedora. The goals
which our WG has with SCLs are the following:

* Work to make SCLs usable by Fedora Products.
** Example: Fedora Cloud is a product that often depends on a specific
   version of Ruby, so it will benefit from having a means for providing
   the required version of Ruby via a SCL.
** Get SCLs into the Fedora Mainstream Repository
    [[Packaging_Committee|Fedora Packaging Committee]]. Most probably each
    SCL will have a review step similar to a system-wide Fedora Change.
** Create a second repository for SCLs that do not following Fedora
   Packaging Guidelines
*** Cooperate with the SCL Upstream on enabling Fedora users to install
    and use the SCLs provided by the SCL Upstream. This will extend the
    number and diversity of software stacks available to Fedora users.
**** Status: SCL Upstream is almost finished and ready for launch.  Need to
     work with FESCo, SCL Upstream, and write code to make these
     repositories easy to enable
*** Work with FESCo to see if we can make some subset of those repositories
    direcly installable by the Fedora Products.
*** If not, then figure out if we need SCLs that are not Fedora compliant
    that are directly installable by the Products.

[sclutils section would remain as you wrote it]

Regardless, I don't see anything wrong with the section as written in the
draft; it's just not as detailed as to the strategy to take as this is.

+1

-Toshio