vote on PRD

Tadej Janež tadej.janez at tadej.hicsalta.si
Fri Jan 17 15:13:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 14:08 +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> On 01/17/2014 11:56 AM, Tadej Janež wrote:
> >
> > However, we still need to answer the question: "What goals does the
> > Environment and Stacks Working Group have for the Software Collections?"
> > In other words, how will Software Collections (and further work on them)
> > fulfil the mission of packaging, testing and delivering the various
> > existing and new software stacks in Fedora?
> >
> I can cut the proposal of SCL to provide scl-utils in Fedora as a
> possibility to provide SCLs. But that's not what other products
> dependent on SCLs wanted.

Hmm, I don't understand what you meant here?

I worked on improving the wording of the SCL section but I didn't put it
in, since some people already voted on the PRD.

Here is the new version:
=== SCLs ===
Software Collections (SCLs) are a technology that enables one to build
and concurrently install multiple versions of the same software
components on a given system. They also have no impact on the system
versions of the packages installed by any of the conventional RPM
package management utilities. As such, SCLs will be useful for providing
various (incompatible) versions of software stacks in Fedora. The goals
which our WG has with SCLs are the following:

* Work on getting SCLs into Fedora so they can be used by Fedora
Products.
** Example: Fedora Cloud is a product that often depends on a specific
version of Ruby, so it will benefit from having a means for providing
the required version of Ruby via a SCL.
approval of the [[Packaging_Committee|Fedora Packaging Committee]]. Most
probably each SCL will be added into Fedora as a system-wide change.

* Cooperate with the SCL Upstream on enabling Fedora users to install
and use the SCLs provided by the SCL Upstream. This will extend the
number and diversity of software stacks available to Fedora users.

* [https://fedorahosted.org/SoftwareCollections/ scl-utils] is a set of
utilities that allows one to package, build and run SCLs. We will
cooperate with the scl-utils upstream to incorporate the requirements
that will arise when we make SCLs available in Fedora.
bigger changes.

I hope this makes it in, but I vote +1 regardless.

Tadej