Language Stacks in Docker Hub

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 15:28:35 UTC 2014

On 09/29/2014 04:47 PM, Václav Pavlín wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Docker announced language stacks images in Docker Hub last week:
>
> http://blog.docker.com/2014/09/docker-hub-official-repos-announcing-language-stacks/
>

> They are all based on Debian and pretty outdated. We should consider
> creation of such images for our stacks based on Fedora - we are thinking
> of releasing F21 Alpha base image so we could maybe build them on top of
> it.
>
> As we still don't have a build service I proposed some time ago, we
> could use Docker Automated Builds - we would "just" need to prepare
> Dockerfiles.
>
> Have a look at what they provide and let me know if you think it's
> interesting for us.
>
> Thanks,
> Vašek

Cool, we should do it better. From what I see every image contains just
the main package downloaded from upstream. If those users are using
cpan/pypi/npm, there's not much added value.
I wouldn't say they are outdated at all. They are missing just released
node.js 0.12 and quite fresh Ruby 2.2 (from interpreted languages).

Do you have vision what should be done? (Like package in dockerfile at
least what we provide for RSHCL). Otherwise, we could create dockerfile
for every existing framework, but we probably don't want to go this way
and support all existing combinations. Too much maintenance.
It might be good to use combinations, which we are providing in
DevAssistant or pick one supported frameworks for every language, but
someone has to pick the One...

Marcela