Starting to take a look at Conary

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:40:25 UTC 2015

At Matt Miller's recommendation, I added Conary to the list of
packaging tools I'm investigating as a possible language independent
user level package management system:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/UserLevelPackageManagement#Recommending_language_independent_tooling_.28longer_term.29
(Sam Kottler actually suggested Conary to me at Flock a couple of
years ago, but I never got around to investigating it)

In trying to research that, I was having a lot of trouble finding
useful docs, so I filed an issue about that on their GitHub issue
tracker: https://github.com/sassoftware/conary/issues/2

Near term, they pointed out the clone of their old wiki from the rPath
days: https://opensource.sas.com/conarywiki/index.php/Main_Page

Longer term, they've started putting updated docs together at
http://sassoftware.github.io/conary/ (very bare bones at the moment,
but I suggested they look at MediaWiki export + Pandoc to convert some
of the old docs from the wiki clone).

They also mentioned that they've finally been able to fully open
source rBuilder itself, and pointed out
http://sassoftware.github.io/appengine/quickstart.html for folks that
would like to try out conary, rmake and rbuild in a prebuilt VM.

Regards,
Nick.