Developer subsite as a self-contained change proposal (was Re: Meeting minutes for Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2015-07-16))

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 03:09:09 UTC 2015

On 17 July 2015 at 22:57, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> In relation to this, I've updated the content on the new Env & Stacks
> subpage to eliminate the duplication with phracek's existing plan for
> setting up the initial site and instead specifically cover the idea of
> putting the subsite forward as Fedora level self-contained change
> proposal.
>
> Where I think Env & Stacks can potentially help the project is in
> having the WG take overall responsibility for the site's content,
> including coordinating with the other WGs if they're making major
> changes to the recommendations.
>
> We'd also be the first point of escalation if there's an argument
> about what tools the developer portal should be recommending.

I continued pondering this idea over the weekend, and started adding a
few more notes to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Env_and_Stacks/Projects/DeveloperPortal
about it.

I think one of the key principles we'd want to establish is that we'd
like the developer portal to be a way for the Edition WGs language
SIGs to communicate effectively with folks building *on* Fedora,
moreso than with folks seeking to contribute *to* Fedora. There'd be
off ramps to sites like whatcanidoforfedora.org, but
developers.fedoraproject.org itself would be focused on the "I am
doing X, how can Fedora help me?" aspect.

In many cases, "X" would include cross-platform development, where
even if someone is using Fedora themselves, they're building for
deployment to environments outside the Fedora/RHEL/CentOS ecosystem
(e.g. mobile applications).

Regards,
Nick.