Docker for beginners and WEB UI

Petr Hracek phracek at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 11:32:34 UTC 2015

Hello Env & Stack team,

I have tested docker from beginners or "dummy" point of view, like me:)

I've got information from [1]  ,
where it navigates me how to create a my docker file.
"Really" only 4 rows are needed:) Awesome.

Creating of docker file for http and checking whether process starts
I have create Dockerfile like:
FROM fedora:21
RUN yum install httpd -y
CMD ["ps -ef | grep http"]

sudo docker build -t phracek/fedora21-http
Image was build successfully.

I now that it is a stupid docker file but I wanted to test them. I
wanted to know what should be mentioned on
Fedora page. For beginners of course. Many of you are experts.

What should be (or I like to have) on Fedora page like
docker.fedoraproject.org?

1) [Tab How to install docker on Fedora]
How to Install on Fedora 21:
- install docker-io fedora-dockerfiles  #fedora-dockerfile contains a
really good examples. Needs to be updated
- sudo systemctl start docker
- sudo docker run -i -t fedora /bin/bash
     for test whether docker is running.
- adding to group docker

I think that package fedora-dockerfiles is more or less needed. There
are most information and useful Dockerfiles.

2) [Docker useful commands]
Some useful commands like in Fedora.
- building docker image
- starting docker image
- deleting docker image (docker rmi ..)

- link to empty or dummy Dockerfile like from [1]
- may be example Dockerfile would be also good.

Some command are already mentioned here [2].
3) [Links to documentation]
Some links to docker.io page would be welcome???? This is under
discussion and of course
we don't want to duplicate pages.

4) [Fedora docker WEB UI interface]
WEB UI interface for creating Dockerfiles
How can it look like?
- Tab for creating Dockerfile
      - It can contain important directives like EXPOSE, RUN, ADD etc.
and Popup window discovers where user can write
      - Immediately your see how docker file look like.
      - Tool can merge repeated commands like yum on several lines
(sorted them)
- Tab for validation users dockerfiles
- Tab for building images and container execution. User could be able to
run ssh window with container.

That's all. Currently now I know how to build/run docker files and what
could help beginners on Fedora:)
I missed some useful commands on the one page.

Let's continue with new challenges. I think that the web UI is more or
less important for propagation Fedora as
distro for docker.

[1] https://docs.docker.com/userguide/dockerimages/
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docker

--