Docker for beginners and WEB UI

Václav Pavlín vpavlin at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 12:41:33 UTC 2015

On 4.3.2015 12:32, Petr Hracek wrote:
> Hello Env & Stack team,
>

> I have tested docker from beginners or "dummy" point of view, like me:)
>

> I've got information from [1]  ,
>
> where it navigates me how to create a my docker file.
>
> "Really" only 4 rows are needed:) Awesome.
>

> Creating of docker file for http and checking whether process starts
>
> I have create Dockerfile like:
>
> FROM fedora:21
>
> RUN yum install httpd -y
>
> CMD ["ps -ef | grep http"]
I have a bit of a problem with this example - it's complete nonsense:)
If you want really simple Dockerfile just to show that something like
that exists, you could use

FROM fedora
CMD echo "Hello I am "$(cat /etc/os-release | grep PRETTY_NAME | sed
"s/.*=//")

And that's really the simplest thing you can get. If you want something
that makes at least some sense, you could use...

FROM fedora
RUN yum -y install httpd
CMD /usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGDROUND

> sudo docker build -t phracek/fedora21-http
>
> Image was build successfully.
>

> I now that it is a stupid docker file but I wanted to test them. I
> wanted to know what should be mentioned on
>
> Fedora page. For beginners of course. Many of you are experts.
>

> What should be (or I like to have) on Fedora page like
> docker.fedoraproject.org?
>

> 1) [Tab How to install docker on Fedora]
>
> How to Install on Fedora 21:
>
> - install docker-io fedora-dockerfiles  #fedora-dockerfile contains a
> really good examples. Needs to be updated
>
> - sudo systemctl start docker
>
> - sudo docker run -i -t fedora /bin/bash
>
>     for test whether docker is running.
>
> - adding to group docker
>

> I think that package fedora-dockerfiles is more or less needed. There
> are most information and useful Dockerfiles.
>

> 2) [Docker useful commands]
>
> Some useful commands like in Fedora.
>
> - building docker image
>
> - starting docker image
>
> - deleting docker image (docker rmi ..)
>

> - link to empty or dummy Dockerfile like from [1]
>
> - may be example Dockerfile would be also good.
>

> Some command are already mentioned here [2].
>
> 3) [Links to documentation]
>
> Some links to docker.io page would be welcome???? This is under
> discussion and of course
>
> we don't want to duplicate pages.
I'd call this part "Docs Hub" and link to docker.io, ProjectAtomic.io,
OpenShift, Cent OS docs...

> 4) [Fedora docker WEB UI interface]
>
> WEB UI interface for creating Dockerfiles
>
> How can it look like?
>
> - Tab for creating Dockerfile
>
>      - It can contain important directives like EXPOSE, RUN, ADD etc.
> and Popup window discovers where user can write
>
>      - Immediately your see how docker file look like.
>
>      - Tool can merge repeated commands like yum on several lines
> (sorted them)
>
> - Tab for validation users dockerfiles
>
> - Tab for building images and container execution. User could be able to
> run ssh window with container.
>

> That's all. Currently now I know how to build/run docker files and what
> could help beginners on Fedora:)
>
> I missed some useful commands on the one page.
>

> Let's continue with new challenges. I think that the web UI is more or
> less important for propagation Fedora as
>
> distro for docker.
>

> [1] https://docs.docker.com/userguide/dockerimages/
>
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docker

Otherwise looks good. Thanks a lot Petr. I had something like this in my
mind for a long time and it's great somebody finally put it in words!

Thanks,
Vašek

--

Lead Infrastructure Engineer