dockerfile_lint vs. guidelines & best practices (was: Minutes from Env-and-Stacks WG meeting (2015-03-05))

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 18:58:18 UTC 2015

On 03/05/2015 09:17 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
> * all to look at dockerfile_lint to see if it is capable to accommodate
>    all the guidelines or we need to have them beside; get more of the
>    rules; and checking it's abilities in terms of Dockerfile creation so
>    that we can file some feature requests

IMHO, it doesn't seem feasible to have all rules directly in the tool's
git, at least from these reasons:
  * the yaml file is not very friendly for longer text and further
structure in item description
  * there will be a lot things that may not be checked automatically
(e.g. that confidential data passed as env. variables during container
start must be 'unset' and similar stuff that needs to be done in the
script that prepares container).

However, the dockerfile_lint has an identifier (label,e.g.
https://github.com/redhataccess/dockerfile_lint/blob/master/config/default_rules.yaml#L34)
to identify the rule.

So my recommendation would be to have a new repo with nice documentation
text and this text would included information, if the recommendation tip
is implemented in the dockerfile_lint -- if so, mention that label.

Additionally, the error description in the dockerfile_lint tool may then
include some generic link to the documentation github repo, so people
may find further information about why that thing is wrong..

Honza