EPEL CentOS curator group proposal

Steve Traylen steve.traylen at cern.ch
Thu Sep 25 15:28:40 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Antonio Trande's message of 2014-09-25 17:15:45 +0200:
> Hi Jim.
>
> On 09/25/2014 04:36 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > Earlier this week on the CentOS devel list I proposed an interim method
> > to help make it easier for centos contributions to flow into epel.
> >
> > Essentially the proposal is that CentOS would like a 'curator' group
> > (name can be determined later) similar to the wrangler's group.
> >
> > Members of this group would be responsible for shepherding packages
> > designated by the various SIG efforts in CentOS through the process of
> > getting these packages in epel. This means that rather than having an
> > individual owner, packages would have group ownership. Members of this
> > group will be required to have access to make package modifications on
> > the CentOS side so that they meet the packaging standards for EPEL.
> > Additionally, it would help to have an EPEL proven packager as part of
> > the group as well in order to help make things move a little quicker.
> >
> > Would this be acceptable from an EPEL standpoint? What would be required
> > from an EPEL perspective to make this happen?
> >
> EPEL is for RHEL, Scientific Linux, Oracle Enterprice other than CentOS; would we need of special "curator" group for every distro?
> CentOS contributions could flow simply by taking part on EPEL and by integrating any special (previously discussed) packaging need .

This would be my take also, getting pkgs into EPEL is a pretty well
defined process as is a becoming a packager. I don't see an extra step/group
is needed within CentOS is needed.

Group ownership of pkgs in EPEL? So many people can own a package
already. I am unsure what the 'wrangler' group example is.

Steve Traylen, CERN IT.