[EPEL-devel] EPSCO is Dead. Long live EPSCO?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:32:53 UTC 2015

On 14 April 2015 at 11:39, Jeff Sheltren <jeff at tag1consulting.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 14 April 2015 at 08:03, Jeff Sheltren <jeff at tag1consulting.com> wrote:
>>
>>> According to the initial agreement among interested parties, EPSCO was
>>> going to end the first term on March 31st, 2015.
>>>
>>> With that in mind, what's the status of the policy questions outlined
>>> here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL-faster-repo-ideas  What
>>> remains to be done from the policies and tasks outlined there and in the
>>> first few EPSCO meetings?
>>>
>>> And has there been any discussion of new committee members and/or what
>>> term-lengths may be in the future?  I haven't seen anything on that topic
>>> discussed on this list.
>>>

>> This was discussed in one of the last meetings and  it was decided to go
>> with a meritocratic format like the Fedora Packaging Committee.
>>
>> I did promise to stand down and forgot the date that I said so. Thank you
>> for remembering the date, and I will ask forgiveness if I run it until
>> 2015-04-17 when I will resign and someone else can take over the position.
>>

> I'm not pushing for you (or anyone) to step down, just wanting to keep up
> some sort of progress/improvements for EPEL. I don't even know if a
> committee is the best approach for EPEL, but as someone who supported the
> formation of a committee for a limited amount of time in order to deal with
> the issues documented in the above linked wiki pages, I'm trying to get a
> grasp of where things stand.

It is not a push that I am opening my position:

1) I made a promise that my time on the committee would end on March 31,
2015. I expected at that time we would have elections for people who were
interested in being on the committee to make sure that we had fresh blood
regularly. Since we are using a meritocratic format, I need to resign to
get others interested a chance.
2) My time on the committee has not really accomplished anything beyond "He
ran meetings regularly for a while."
3) Maybe a steering committee does not work for EPEL but as long as I am
sticking around in the "chair" it exists.

>> Additionally, are meetings still happening regularly? From what I've
>>> seen, they seem to be cancelled more often than they take place.
>>>

>> Meetings were stopped because either people could not attend due to trips
>> or other projects deadlines. With rarely able to get a quorum of people who
>> were active to participate from either the committee members or people in
>> the community.. I figured a break until enough people were interested in
>> having meetings was needed. Since that seems to be the case now, I will be
>> calling a meeting this week to get various things done.
>>

> I'd love if the current EPSCO group could write up a quick summary of
> what's been accomplished since the formation. I think this could help shape
> up a conversation around some concrete next steps/tasks that we (people who
> care about EPEL) could contribute to.
>
> Regarding the meetings: I'm not a huge fan of meetings, but I think they
> may be a good way to allow people to get more involved in EPEL; especially
> if summaries are posted to the list so that people who aren't on IRC or
> can't make the meetings can easily see what's happening.

No one is a fan of the meetings, but the questions asked are always:

When was the last meeting? What was decided? When is the next?

So I don't know what the solution to this is. Trying to get discussions to
happen on the list never seemed to work either.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.