[EPEL-devel] EPSCO is Dead. Long live EPSCO?

Jeff Sheltren jeff at tag1consulting.com
Tue Apr 14 17:39:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14 April 2015 at 08:03, Jeff Sheltren <jeff at tag1consulting.com> wrote:
>
>> According to the initial agreement among interested parties, EPSCO was
>> going to end the first term on March 31st, 2015.
>>
>> With that in mind, what's the status of the policy questions outlined
>> here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL-faster-repo-ideas  What
>> remains to be done from the policies and tasks outlined there and in the
>> first few EPSCO meetings?
>>
>> And has there been any discussion of new committee members and/or what
>> term-lengths may be in the future?  I haven't seen anything on that topic
>> discussed on this list.
>>

> This was discussed in one of the last meetings and  it was decided to go
> with a meritocratic format like the Fedora Packaging Committee.
>
> I did promise to stand down and forgot the date that I said so. Thank you
> for remembering the date, and I will ask forgiveness if I run it until
> 2015-04-17 when I will resign and someone else can take over the position.

I'm not pushing for you (or anyone) to step down, just wanting to keep up
some sort of progress/improvements for EPEL. I don't even know if a
committee is the best approach for EPEL, but as someone who supported the
formation of a committee for a limited amount of time in order to deal with
the issues documented in the above linked wiki pages, I'm trying to get a
grasp of where things stand.

> Additionally, are meetings still happening regularly? From what I've seen,
>> they seem to be cancelled more often than they take place.
>>

> Meetings were stopped because either people could not attend due to trips
> or other projects deadlines. With rarely able to get a quorum of people who
> were active to participate from either the committee members or people in
> the community.. I figured a break until enough people were interested in
> having meetings was needed. Since that seems to be the case now, I will be
> calling a meeting this week to get various things done.

I'd love if the current EPSCO group could write up a quick summary of
what's been accomplished since the formation. I think this could help shape
up a conversation around some concrete next steps/tasks that we (people who
care about EPEL) could contribute to.

Regarding the meetings: I'm not a huge fan of meetings, but I think they
may be a good way to allow people to get more involved in EPEL; especially
if summaries are posted to the list so that people who aren't on IRC or
can't make the meetings can easily see what's happening.

-Jeff