[EPEL-devel] [Proposal] Converge EPEL and CBS

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:58:39 UTC 2015

On 24 September 2015 at 10:40, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Looks like we do have some progress on that topic :)
>
> So plan B would be:
> 1. automate EPEL rebuilds in CBS
> 2. have CI run automated test suite over EPEL rebuilds
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but we would be ok to enable CentOS folks to
> fix EPEL packaging.

That is the 10,000 km view of the items. There is a LOT of detail that
is lost at that height. There have to be CentOS people wanting to fix
things in EPEL and they would need to get accounts in the Fedora
system. There are always people saying they want this, but not a lot
who do anything with it. [The reason for them to get a Fedora account
is that any sort of federalization built into FAS is a ways out (1-2
years at the rate FAS gets worked on?)]

There will also need to be done on what a proven packager is in EPEL
land, and if it is even possible to have an epel-provenpackager which
doesn't break fedora-provenpackager and vice versa. That is a lot of
work which at the rate things work in CentOS and/or EPEL land is years
off.

> It would be easier if we do create an epel-provenpackager group
> limited to EL branches distinct from fedora's provenpackager as in the
> first proposal.
>
> If that's ok for everyone, let's wait Karsten speak to KB (and
> hopefully, start working on this asap)
>
> H.

Stephen J Smoogen.