[EPEL-devel] [Proposal] Converge EPEL and CBS

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 25 06:47:50 UTC 2015

> On 24 September 2015 at 10:40, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Looks like we do have some progress on that topic :)
>>
>> So plan B would be:
>> 1. automate EPEL rebuilds in CBS
>> 2. have CI run automated test suite over EPEL rebuilds
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong but we would be ok to enable CentOS folks to
>> fix EPEL packaging.
>
> That is the 10,000 km view of the items. There is a LOT of detail that
> is lost at that height. There have to be CentOS people wanting to fix
> things in EPEL and they would need to get accounts in the Fedora
> system. There are always people saying they want this, but not a lot
> who do anything with it. [The reason for them to get a Fedora account
> is that any sort of federalization built into FAS is a ways out (1-2
> years at the rate FAS gets worked on?)]

Still an huge improvement compared to the previous dead-end.
What matters is that we agree on a common goal and start working toward that.

I implicitly volunteered myself to work on the build automation, as
I'm already currently doing a lot of *manual* rebuilds and syncing.

> There will also need to be done on what a proven packager is in EPEL
> land, and if it is even possible to have an epel-provenpackager which
> doesn't break fedora-provenpackager and vice versa. That is a lot of
> work which at the rate things work in CentOS and/or EPEL land is years
> off.

I separated this from the list as it doesn't prevent us to automate
EPEL rebuilds + CI, it's more something *nice to have* if we want to
make EPEL less foreign to CentOS folks.
>From Kevin's answer, it should be possible. I cannot exactly estimate
the task but it's rather a question of months than years.