[FAmSCo] Considering Additional Restrictions on Ambassador Membership

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 05:52:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Joerg Simon <jsimon at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Am 03.07.2010 06:39, schrieb David Nalley:
>> I am on the hook to revive this conversation - so are there any
>> thoughts -
>> are there any statistics that it would be worthwhile for us
>> to have?
>
> mhm, since this conversation started, the membership wizard is
> established, the MembershipService Page is cleaned up and candidates get
> involved from the start in the membership process by pointing them to
> the membership ticket  right from the start also with a new "welcome
> message" written in that ticket.
>
> Example:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fama/ticket/871

> What i see, that to start this conversation helped to give the
> Membership Process some polish!

Sometimes, I find the steps are too intimidating for newbies.
Also, the process is not streamlined as it should be.
I propose a bit modified structure.

1. Upon applying, FAmA send the candidates pre-mentoring steps which
are easy to follow and onlly upon successful completion of these steps
within 14 days, the candidate move to the mentoring phase.
2. The mentor assess the candidate and continue mentoring as was done before.
3. Ensure there is not too much overlapping information/steps between
step 1 and step 2.

> If we look at
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=fama.git;a=blob_plain;f=stats/ambassadors.png
> we see that from 04/2008 - 05/2009 we had a un-healthy growth and with
> the clean up and the mentoring, we landed exactly in the trendline of
> growth we had before.
>
> We have harder regional restrictions in India, where we have already a
> CLA+1 Rule for Students.

> CLA+1 is a restriction that would have a effect - it would filter out
> all Candidates who start in the Fedora Project with Ambassadors.

Indeed.

> Statistics could help here, "how many of people who join Ambassadors do
> it as the starting group"?

I guess almost 80% (and) all those who gets dropped.
Unless other teams line up their available jobs and starts a well
defined mentoring process, people will come to ambassadors group,
which is the easiest of them all, and get dropped.

> Would it help to filter unresponsive candidates or this the candidates
> who cause the frustration? I do not know.
>
> Right now i would vote -1 for a general CLA+1
>
> I still believe in "all freedom to the Mentors"
>
> I have got also Feedback to the Mentors Survey, but only from 3 Mentors
> till now - which will give new insights as well.

You will have one more today. :)

--
Regards,
Susmit.