[FAmSCo] Fedora Board Recap 2011-06-07

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 8 18:11:05 UTC 2011

Hello Haowei,

during the last board meeting i saw that you have complains regarding
some mentoring issues in your country.

16:50:11 <Haowei> @jsmith, mentors esp for China should give some push
as few of them keeps active as a mentor
16:51:01 <Haowei> @jsmith, I have only seen gbraad,kaio or so, few
mentors keeps active in China

I want to clarify that if we speak about the mentors according to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors_Join_choose_a_mentor
we speak about a mentoring as part of the membership process to make
strong bonds between regional people and to avoid fragmented
communities. Often this are also the regional Leaders within the Fedora
Community.

If we speak about Ambassadors we have to be aware that we Ambassadors
are the Mentors to get new Contributors make valuable contribution.
Maybe you want to read my vision about that

 http://kitall.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

On 06/08/2011 07:33 PM, Joerg Simon wrote:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_meeting_2011-06-07
>> Haowei complained that only a few Chinese ambassador mentors are
>> active
>
> as the process owner for Ambassador Membership and Mentoring i will take
> clarification as a action item and report back till the next board meeting
>
> regards Joerg

i took the clarification as action item to report back in the next board
meeting

first of all i want to offer you to send future complains to the
Fedora Ambassador Membership Administration fama at fedoraproject.org

Also the last FAmSCo Survey is a good place to suggest improvements on
Ambassadors Mentoring! In case you missed it - hurry up ;)
http://fedora-goals.limequery.org/62553/lang-en

*Can you please point out what exactly went wrong*? Do you have a
concrete case? Or is it a perception that you or another chinese
contributor made.

I am sorry to say that from the Ambassador Membership and Mentoring
Tracking, there is no case where a chinese candidate was rejected for no
reason or where they got no feedback - i also hang out in #fedora-zh and
saw nothing what would indicate trouble with mentoring - but i do not
speak chinese or mandarin and want to see that the current 3 chinese
Mentors and you take the opportunity to tweak the things that you want
to see more improved.

I also offer you my private email address in case you feel that things
should not go to the public famsco list to protect peoples privacy.

cu Joerg
--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688