[FAmSCo] [CHINESE COMMUNITY] Fedora Board Recap 2011-06-07

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 10 13:26:55 UTC 2011

i had a talk with Haowei regarding the clarification action item from
the Fedora Board Meeting 2011-06-07

> *China Ambassadors mentors*
> Haowei complained that only a few Chinese ambassador mentors are
> active

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2011-June/010756.html

the overall outcome was:
15:04 <kital> i will report back to the board that the mentoring Process
for the Fedora Ambassador Membership Process in china is healthy - we
did some small but important steps with establishing regioanl leadership
- but still need to raise attention in chinese media, communities,
educational institutes ..., if we want to have more awareness for Fedora
in China

Here ist the full conversation, please feel free to add your thoughts or
use is as report for the next board meeting.

14:35 <Haowei> I saw your mail these two days, but as I am currently
under the area with unstable internet conncetion, so I could only
feedback to you here
4:36 <Haowei> the thing I mentioned in board meeting should not be seen
as complain but just free talk
14:36 <Haowei> which is actually the case in China
14:36 <kital> sure - also complains are ok if things go wrong
14:37 <kital> as the process owner i always look forward for improvements
14:37 <Haowei> as I have been to ambassador few weeks, I could only see
kaio, gbraad and fo few people keep passion for fedora,but others not,
esp for other mentors
14:37 <kital> as far as i know there is only yuan
14:38 <kital> as the other mentor
14:38 <kital> for china
14:38 <kital> so there are kaio gbraad and yuan as mentors
14:38 <Haowei> most of the days, I keep communicating with Harish, kaio
and gbraad for the Fedora in China
14:39 <Haowei> but not see so many improvement or some new ambassadors
to come to join even these 3 years
14:40 <Haowei> I can imagine that persons who keeps online at irc
chinese channel could be somehow boring because always those old and
inactive person
14:41 <kital> ok lets take a step back and lets get some facts
14:42 <kital> we have the Fedora Project as a international global
Community with common sense and goals
14:42 <kital> and we have regional communities with special demands and
culture
14:42 <Haowei> yep
14:43 <kital> so i think we agree that the task is to maintain a healthy
regional Fedora Community without get too fragmented because of too much
regional focus
14:44 <Haowei> also agreed
14:44 <kital> we had Mel Chua from the Community Architecture Team
flying over to china last year to kick off a new approach for the
chinese community together with gbraad
14:44 <Haowei> have got that
14:45 <kital> and we have now gbraad and kaio as mentors as well as
famsco members in position to work as catalysts
14:46 <Haowei> famsco member always creative and efficiency
14:46 <kital> so i think it is a first step - maybe a small one but at
least ;)
14:47 <Haowei> ok
14:48 <kital> Ambassadors are often the seed to build and shape regional
communities - with supporting gbraad and kaio we can build a stronger
chinese community - but we have to give them feedback
14:48 <Haowei> actually no problem for me, but just some worries as no
new ambassador come to join
14:49 <kital> it is ok to be worried :)
14:49 <kital> if it is based on facts
14:49 <Haowei> kaio also told me what you just said
14:51 <kital> in a open source community you can not people force to
contribute
14:51 <kital> what you can do bring catalytic people in place to get
things done
14:52 <kital> and if the task is hire new contributors then it is - but
14:52 <kital> this is different from mentoring
14:52 <Haowei> I am actually working with harish very closely for fedora
work in China and so have some improvement these months
14:53 <Haowei> for me, it is contributors
14:53 <kital> to spread the word and hire new contributors in all areas
of the Project that is where i see all Ambassadors in charge to keep
eyes open and bring the right people to the right task
14:54 <Haowei> umm,will try for that.
14:55 <Haowei> I am currently spending most of the time for promoting
Fedora in China
14:55 <kital> the different thing is Ambassador Mentoring - here a
concrete person has decided to join the Group
14:55 <kital> and from my pov and what i can see in the ticket system
the process is healthy with active gbraad and kaio as mentors
14:55 <kital> and i offer to check back with yuan how things work right
now for him
14:56 <kital> Haowei you are doing a great job
14:57 <Haowei> thanks
14:58 <Haowei> no worry kital
14:58 <kital> did you had the opportunity to read my vision on
Ambassadors for 2011
http://kitall.blogspot.com/2011/02/ambassador-group-role-for-2011.html
14:58 <kital> i am not worried ;)
14:58 <Haowei> yes
15:04 <Haowei> unstable connections....
15:04 <kital> i will report back to the board that the mentoring Process
for the Fedora Ambassador Membership Process in china is healthy - we
did some small but important steps with establishing regioanl leadership
- but still need to raise attention in chinese media, communities,
educational institutes ..., if we want to
              have more awareness for Fedora in China
15:05 <Haowei> agreed
15:05 <kital> ok nice ;)

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688