[FAmSCo] Make Mentors Sponsors?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 10:49:03 UTC 2013

Hi Jörg,

thanks for bringing this up.

Let me give some background for those of you who did not attend the
FAmSCo meeting yesterday and didn't (yet) read the meeting log: Herlo
asked for somebody else take over his duties as the head of FAMA, the
Fedora Ambassadors membership Administration [1]. After a little
discussion, we appointed Tuanta.

Am Dienstag, den 09.07.2013, 11:02 +0200 schrieb Joerg Simon:
> crossposted also to the famsco list as a heads up
>
> i want to put the current Ambassador mentoring and membership process up
> to dicussion - if i see the solid base of mentors we have today, we
> should consider to give the mentors sponsorship rights.

When we discussed this yesterday, I thought about this, but I did not
suggest it. FAMA is a well established process with a long history and I
did not want to make any changes without consulting you first. Glad to
see you feel the same.

> We shaped the current process in the past to remove the workload from a
> FAmA represented by a single person and to separate the
> "quality"-evaluation from the administrational/initial barriers and
> formalism. I think this is perfect in place now.
>
> With the current process the *last step* of a mentor is, that he gives
> his *thumbs up in the tickets system* . After that, the FAmA sponsors
> the candidate in FAS and closes the ticket. I think we should give the
> Mentors who are doing the hard mentoring work, the recognition to
> sponsor their own candidates.

I totally agree, there are a lot of good reasons. Let me summarize and
add a few new ones:
      * We should share the workload.
      * We should not have a single point of failure.
      * The mentors do all the work of the sponsoring process, in return
        they should be rewarded with more recognition and
        responsibility.
      * Sponsoring somebody and closing his ticket is just a few clicks.
        No big deal for a mentor, but it can become a lot of work for a
        single person.
      * As the mentors are filing the tickets, they should also close
        them.
      * The process would be consistent with all the other groups where
        sponsors == mentors.

Kind regards,
Christoph

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fama/