[FAmSCo] FY15 budget breakdown

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 09:16:52 UTC 2014

Ruth Suehle píše v Pá 11. 04. 2014 v 14:49 -0400:
> The total budget for Fedora is the same as FY14: $195,000. The breakdown by quarter puts the majority in Q2 because of Flock, which you'll see reflected in the breakdown. After that, it was done based on the requests made by APAC, EMEA, and LATAM as well as actual spending for last year. (I also took into account that now that APAC has its own credit card, they may spend more due to the ease of spending more.) All that said, the requests were greater that the quarterly budget allowed, so this will seem like a shortfall. If at any point, you feel like your region needs to go over its quarterly budget, please simply ask. We can often make it up from elsewhere; in fact, I don't believe I've ever told anyone there wasn't enough money for something.
>
> NORTH AMERICA
> --------------
> Q1: $7,850
> Q2: $15,000.00
> Q3: $7,000.00
> Q4: $14,000.00
>

> EMEA
> -----
> Q1: $12,000.00
> Q2: $80,000.00	(This includes Flock)
> Q3: $5,000.00
> Q4: $5,000.00
>

> APAC
> ------
> Q1: $2,900.00
> Q2: $10,750.00
> Q3: $3,000.00
> Q4: $6,000.00
>
> Because FUDCon Beijing falls at the very end of Q1, I put the bulk of that $10k budget in Q2. If it becomes a problem, just let me know.
>

> LATAM
> -------
> Q1: $6,000.00
> Q2: $3,000.00
> Q3: $13,750.00	(This includes $10k for FUDCon)
> Q4: $3,750.00

I've got a few notes/concerns to this:

1. I don't think premier events should be included in the regional
budgets. Those are completely separated things with different parties
which are responsible for them. I as a EMEA treasurer am responsible for
the EMEA regional budget, but I have no control over how the Flock
budget is spent. It doesn't make any sense to keep it in one budget. I
don't even know how much money we have for non-Flock activities in EMEA
in Q2.

2. Expenses that are not related to the NA region, but have been
included in their budget for historical reasons, haven't been excluded.

3. FUDCon LATAM and APAC budgets have been cut to the level that doesn't
make them FUDCons any more. With such a budget, you can sponsor 5 ppl
maximally to travel which really doesn't make it an event for the whole
region. Moreover, for example the APAC organizers were told they had
much smaller budget just two months before the event.
I hope requests from LATAM and APAC for Flock sponsorships won't be
rejected because they have their own event like last year. It's apparent
that just a few people will get sponsored for FUDCons there and Flock
has taken much of the money that originally went to their FUDCons.

Jiri