[Fedora-join] Any newcomers here?

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Fri Mar 22 05:48:23 UTC 2013

On 3/11/13 10:34 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> The list has been too quiet of late. Yet, I've been getting subscription
> notifications telling me that new people are in-fact subscribing to the
> list. The logical conclusion here is that new people are joining the
> list, but *not* using it. I'm not sure why that would be. Are new comers
> shy, or are they scared of being flamed, or is there another reason?

Shy mostly, and busy! I really haven't said much because it's been quiet
and nobody else has.

> In the unlikely case that you have no questions and are well on your way
> to contributing to Fedora, I'll request you to at least send the list an
> e-mail introducing yourself. That'll tell us who you are, what you do,
> what you want to work on, and we can help you and introduce you to more
> folks that we know.

I'm a System Administrator on the US West Coast (Portland). We are
primarily a Windows shop, but I've been somewhat successful in bringing
more Linux systems into what we do. I've been using Linux since
2003-ish, started with Red Hat 9 and have used most distributions for at
least a short while. Primarily servers but I've used it long term on the
desktop (/laptop) as well.

Right now I am involved in Freemedia. It was an easy group to join and
get my foot in the door. I am interested in getting involved in Infra,
but haven't really made the jump into introducing myself there. Mostly
because I don't know where to start. My reasons for wanting to get into
Infra are the overall interest in contributing to the magic side of
things people only see when broken, but I have a selfish motivation of
wanting to learn more about Linux system administration in a production
environment, and also things like puppet which I haven't gotten around
to playing with on my own, myself. I'd also like to learn Python, I
haven't had the proper motivation of projects to do so on my own.