[Fedora-join] [July] Any newcomers here?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 15:28:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 14:15 +1000, Steven Woods wrote:

> Hi everyone,

Hi Steven,

Welcome to Fedora!

> I'm kind of new. My name is Steven Woods from New South Wales
> Australia. I signed up to many of the
> email lists about 6 months ago.

Ah! Cool! I'm in NSW too. I'm in Rhodes at the moment.

> I didn't introduce myself because I felt inhibited by the
> introductions
> of people who all seem to be software developers or system
> administrators, whereas I'm just a user and open source enthusiast.

Heh. I know what you're saying. Most of us were slightly hesitant to
post to the mailing lists when we'd just started. The thing is, the
members of the community don't really think of each other as
"developers" or "system administrators". Sure, people have their
specific areas that they specialize in, but we prefer to look at each
other as simply "fedora community members". More importantly, a majority
of us started as "just a user and open source enthusiast" as you put
it ;)

If you'd like to get started, there are quite a few *simple* ways to
contribute - where the learning curve isn't too steep. For example,
helping test updates is easy: all you need to do is install packages and
see if they work - if they do, you give positive karma otherwise
negative. More details here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing With Fedora 21 coming
up, the amount of testing is going to increase - test days, blocker
meetings and the rest. Sign up with the QA team if you're up for these:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join Just reading stuff on the mailing
lists and participating a little should teach you everything you need to
know bit by bit.

Most teams have detailed documentation on how one can get started - no
prior knowledge is assumed in general. Take a look at
join.fedoraproject.org and just well, jump in!

> Been using Fedora since F5

Woah! Nice! I only started using Fedora from 7!

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions - the community is more than
happy to answer them. *No* question is stupid :D

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Join Fedora! Come talk to us!