[Fedora-join] Bundled libraries in first proposed package to Fedora

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:16:29 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-07-25 at 16:31 +0200, Marcin Haba wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Marcin,

Welcome to the mailing list!

> I am trying to contribute Fedora about Baculum WebGUI (BugZilla
> 1203018). This WebGUI uses PHP framework (PRADO framework) that is
> not
> available in Fedora packages.
>
> My first question is: if first should I try to contribute Fedora
> about
> PRADO Framework and then try to contribute Fedora about Baculum? I
> would
> not provide bundled framework to Fedora.
>
> Second my issue is that PHP framework itself contains bundled
> libraries
> from which part is available in Fedora packages (for example:
> prototype.js,  script.aculo.us, tinymce editor...etc.) and a part
> that
> is not available in Fedora packages.
>
> I can try to contribute Fedora about PRADO Framework but I will need
> solve all dependencies and tune PRADO code to external libraries
> which
> in this case will be using Fedora packages (prototype.js,
> script.aculo.us, ...etc.).
>
> Additionally I will need to contribute this part of PRADO
> dependencies
> (3rd party code) that is not in Fedora packages (SafeHtml, FirePHP...
> and others.).
>
> I would avoid situation that at the start for provide Baculum I will
> become a maintainer 30 other packages :-)
>
> Last information is that Baculum uses raw framework without 3rd party
> libraries. For preparing buildroot files in Spec I just not include
> 3rd
> party code from upstream tar.gz archive. Maybe this information can
> make
> something easier?

Well, as per the Fedora packaging guidelines[1], the packages cannot
have bundled libraries at all. There are reasons for this too, which
you can read here[2]. When such a situation arises, you must unbundle
the bundled libraries even package them if they're not present in the
Fedora repositories already.

Often, this leads to quite a bit of work if you're doing it all by
yourself :(

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines

[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries