[Fedora-join] Bundled libraries in first proposed package to Fedora

Marcin Haba marcin.haba at bacula.pl
Tue Jul 28 17:00:49 UTC 2015

On 28.07.2015 15:16, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-07-25 at 16:31 +0200, Marcin Haba wrote:
>> I would avoid situation that at the start for provide Baculum I will
>> become a maintainer 30 other packages :-)
>>
>> Last information is that Baculum uses raw framework without 3rd party
>> libraries. For preparing buildroot files in Spec I just not include
>> 3rd
>> party code from upstream tar.gz archive. Maybe this information can
>> make
>> something easier?
>
> Well, as per the Fedora packaging guidelines[1], the packages cannot
> have bundled libraries at all. There are reasons for this too, which
> you can read here[2]. When such a situation arises, you must unbundle
> the bundled libraries even package them if they're not present in the
> Fedora repositories already.

Hello Ankur,

Thank you for warm welcome on the mailing list.

Thanks for showing me proper way about bundled libraries either.

> Often, this leads to quite a bit of work if you're doing it all by
> yourself :(

Yes, it looks that there is a lot of work and effort before me,
specially that I am beginner in preparing Fedora packages.

The bright side of this work is that Fedora will be richer about new
packages and I will acquire more experience in packaging while preparing
these packages :-)

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards.
Marcin Haba