[Fedora-join] Join-Day - Let's get this rolling!

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 20:41:39 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 02:44 PM, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:
> One of the first tasks for our soon-to-be Outreachy Intern will be
> establishing onboarding badge series' for each team and subproject! As
> an example of this, we have the "bootstrapped" series, which is in
> progress, but includes a number of common badges that help to introduce
> new contributors generally to a number of aspects of the project. (See:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-badges/ticket/409)
>
> Even if we don't have a badge series identified yet, having the steps
> listed to join a particular group will help with both creating the
> series, and engaging with new contributors in an event like a Join-Day.
>
> That's my $.02,
> --RemyD.

That would definitely be awesome to have a sort of "Bootstrapped" series
for the different subgroups - it would also provide the people
participating a direct reward (i.e. a badge) for completing a task to
being onboarded.

So in the meanwhile, we can begin working towards making the steps more
clear and/or visible for a given subgroup that we want to work more
closely with.

On 11/06/2015 02:53 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
 > Does marketing have well established workflows for people to learn
 > about? I know the structure is in place for magazine contributions and
 > editorial review, but I don't feel like a clinic on how to log into
 > WordPress and write a draft post qualifies as a thorough introduction to
 > the Fedora Marketing Team.
 >
 > In contrast, QA has a lot going on, where we can teach about package and
 > release lifecycle and the role of quality testing in that process. It
 > may be a better fit.

Hmmm. So our options seem to either be the Magazine or the QA team? My
thoughts on this is if we were to do a Magazine Join-Day, we might even
try to have a few "easy" pitches that people could try to do, but
otherwise, I could see where it might be similar to what Pete described.
Of course, I guess it also depends on where peoples' interests lie.

For the QA team, I'm not that familiar with the process but I could
become familiar with the process and help in the proceedings.

On 11/06/2015 02:47 PM, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
 > I think the next steps are:
 >
 > 1) create a workflow specifically for this day.
 > 2) choose the tool we'd like to use (IRC? Hangouts?) IMO IRC is still
 > the best, the fedora-join channel is quiet enough;
 > 3) setting the day.
 >
 > Of course we must advertise the event on the magazine, socials, and
 > everything is useful to spread the join-day (I think we should also
 > consider to send a mail also to the local community [1]).

I think this is pretty universal for any group we end up going with.
Seems like a good outline to me.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory