KDE 4.3: configuring device actions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:18:33 UTC 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009 15:43:33 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 13:30 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 August 2009 22:17:35 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > > Since 4.3 seems to carry on the tradition of not
> > > documenting anything useful*, can anyone enlighten me?
> >
> > Thank you.  So we'll all stop working on it until you join in and help
> > us.
>
> No need to overreact. I'll admit to a certain snittiness in my remarks,
> but it's not like this is the first time anyone has ever said anything
> about KDE documentation. I've frequently complained about it in the past
> and was disappointed to find that 4.3 still has holes. In fact it even
> has missing documentation files (click on the Help button in a plasma
> applet and get "The file or folder help:/plasma-desktop/index.html does
> not exist".) This was also the case with earlier versions of KDE and I
> also commented on it at the time.
>
> The whole point I'm trying to make is that most of the easy stuff is
> documented, but a lot of the harder stuff isn't. Clearly if I was in a
> position to write docs for the hard stuff I wouldn't need to ask the
> question in my post.

No, the whole point is that documentation has to be written.  Every study
shows that developers are not the best people to write it, anyway.  They don't
see things from the same perspective as the user, and then of course many
(most?) of them don't speak English as a first language.

The best way undoubtedly is for those that care to start helping write
documentation - and UserBase makes that easy to do (any help needed in
starting new sections etc., please ask me).  If you do that, developers will
be so grateful that they'll fall over themselves to answer your questions so
that you can expand the help.

> (Just to forestall anyone getting the wrong idea: the Gnome docs aren't
> any better and I've also complained about them).

I expect so - for the same reasons.

> > As an experiment, a few weeks back I stuck in a USB pen-drive without
> > mounting it, then opened Gwenview.  I was able to browse immediately -
> > IOW It was mounted from Gwenview, not from the notifier or from Dolphin.
> > How many other applications can do this I have no idea - I haven't
> > tested.
>
> That also works with Dolphin and is a valid alternative. However it
> doesn't really answer the question. More to the point, a user who sees
> the notification pop-up and clicks on the icon will still have to click
> twice more to get to the file browser, which I conjecture to be by far
> the most common case. That's just bad design.

How do you know that's the common case?  It is for you, and it is for me, but
for others an image viewer or media player may be their most common need.  I'm
totally against forcing anyone down any path.  For heaven's sake, I can live
with a couple of clicks.  Is it really that important?