login with kdm and home directories on nfs4

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Wed Jan 7 08:40:12 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 7 בJanuary 2009, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Oron Peled schrieb:
> >
> > Just another data point -- I use nfs4 + KDM on a small SOHO network
> > and don't have these issues. Three users (including me) use KDE desktop
> > and one of my kids uses GNOME.
>
> Are you running SELinux in permisive mode? I think this was the default
> up to fedora 8.

$ /usr/sbin/sestatus
SELinux status:                 enabled
SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
Current mode:                   enforcing
Mode from config file:          enforcing
Policy version:                 23
Policy from config file:        targeted

$ rpmquery selinux-policy
selinux-policy-3.5.13-34.fc10.noarch

$ mount | grep /home
argon:/home on /home type nfs4 (rw,intr,clientaddr=192.0.0.73,addr=192.0.0.72)

> Yesterday I added a SELinux policy to allow kdm mounting
> nfs volumes (afaik nfs4 mounts the master volume at startup and the
> underlaying volumes as they are needed - and that seems to be the
> problem). But I had no time to check this in deep.

That must be your problem, as all my nfs4 mounts are static via /etc/fstab:
  argon:/         /nfs4mounts   nfs4    rw,intr 0 0
  argon:/home     /home         nfs4    rw,intr 0 0

There is an /nfs4mounts/home and you can access the home directories in
that path as well. When I started using nfs4 I used to bind-mount /home
to my /nfs4mounts/home (because of nfs4 hierarchical mount structure
I thought there is no alternative). However, I later found out there
is no problem with the simple structure I now use.

> I don't use Gnome. So I don't know anything about changing language
> settings within Gnome.

There is nothing special in GNOME. If you change your language in KDE,
open Konsole and run the 'date' command the output would be in the
system default language and not in your current desktop language.

If you would change the environment (e.g: LANG=es_ES in your shell)
you would notice that the output changes appropriately in the same
shell or its sub-processes (The same mechanism would work for GNOME
applications btw).

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1  0xfee1dead