login with kdm and home directories on nfs4

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Jan 7 09:20:55 UTC 2009

Oron Peled schrieb:
> On Wednesday, 7 בJanuary 2009, Martin (KDE) wrote:
>> Oron Peled schrieb:
>>> Just another data point -- I use nfs4 + KDM on a small SOHO network
>>> and don't have these issues. Three users (including me) use KDE desktop
>>> and one of my kids uses GNOME.
>> Are you running SELinux in permisive mode? I think this was the default
>> up to fedora 8.
>
> $ /usr/sbin/sestatus
> SELinux status:                 enabled
> SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> Current mode:                   enforcing
> Mode from config file:          enforcing
> Policy version:                 23
> Policy from config file:        targeted
>
> $ rpmquery selinux-policy
> selinux-policy-3.5.13-34.fc10.noarch
>
> $ mount | grep /home
> argon:/home on /home type nfs4 (rw,intr,clientaddr=192.0.0.73,addr=192.0.0.72)
>
>> Yesterday I added a SELinux policy to allow kdm mounting
>> nfs volumes (afaik nfs4 mounts the master volume at startup and the
>> underlaying volumes as they are needed - and that seems to be the
>> problem). But I had no time to check this in deep.
>
> That must be your problem, as all my nfs4 mounts are static via /etc/fstab:
>   argon:/         /nfs4mounts   nfs4    rw,intr 0 0
>   argon:/home     /home         nfs4    rw,intr 0 0
>
> There is an /nfs4mounts/home and you can access the home directories in
> that path as well. When I started using nfs4 I used to bind-mount /home
> to my /nfs4mounts/home (because of nfs4 hierarchical mount structure
> I thought there is no alternative). However, I later found out there
> is no problem with the simple structure I now use.

Ah, now I get it. If my sollution is not working as expected I try
explicit mounting nfs4 volumes. As you said, I thought it is not
possible any longer.

>> I don't use Gnome. So I don't know anything about changing language
>> settings within Gnome.
>
> There is nothing special in GNOME. If you change your language in KDE,
> open Konsole and run the 'date' command the output would be in the
> system default language and not in your current desktop language.
>
> If you would change the environment (e.g: LANG=es_ES in your shell)
> you would notice that the output changes appropriately in the same
> shell or its sub-processes (The same mechanism would work for GNOME
> applications btw).

I see the difference. As we are all german and I am the only one using
the command line this is no problem for my setup. May be it is a good
idea to fill a bugreport/whishlist entry at kde.

Thanks for pointing the nfs4 stuff out

Martin