Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jan 25 22:36:40 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> In fact, most of the time I'm using applications - kmail, knode, Firefox
>> - and I just want to get to them as simply and quickly as possible.
>> I realize this is sacrilege, but I actually think
>> Windows XP is much better organized from this point of view.
>> except for the multiple desktop idea, which I find great.
>
> How is Windows XP better in this regard?

Applications installed in Fedora/KDE may or may not
appear in the F-menu, and if they do appear there
I find it impossible to predict where they will appear,
eg does anyone understand the difference between Administration,
System and Settings?
I find no such ambiguity in the Control Panel under Windows.

In Windows XP, I can be pretty sure that I will find any program
that is installed by going to All Programs.

Nb I prefer Linux, mainly because I feel confident
that it is possible to work out how some application works,
given sufficient time and energy,
while Windows seems to me basically a black box.

It's like the difference between going to a doctor
who tells you what is wrong with you,
and going to one who just hands you a box of tablets.