Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:04:25 UTC 2009

2009/1/25 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

> Applications installed in Fedora/KDE may or may not
> appear in the F-menu, and if they do appear there
> I find it impossible to predict where they will appear,

Or you can do what i do and use the run command interface. I am confident
that aside from clicking a shortcut on the desktop (not that easy once you
have apps open) I can open any app in no time and no need to predict order
or anything or even touch the mouse.

In windows i used to use the run command for exactly the same reason

> eg does anyone understand the difference between Administration,
> System and Settings?
> I find no such ambiguity in the Control Panel under Windows.
>
> In Windows XP, I can be pretty sure that I will find any program
> that is installed by going to All Programs.

And unfortunately by the time you have a few apps in there then the all apps
in one menu idea fails because finding one app in the middle of a huge
expanse of them takes ages.

I agree some programs in Fedora dont have links in particularly sane places
but surely thats just a good reason to try and define these categories
better and then try and standardize them more.

> Nb I prefer Linux, mainly because I feel confident
> that it is possible to work out how some application works,
> given sufficient time and energy,
> while Windows seems to me basically a black box.

Winblow$ is exactly like a black box. The only time a black box is useful is
when it crashes and lets face it Winblow$ does it a lot. That's when you
install Linux and everything starts magically working.

> It's like the difference between going to a doctor
> who tells you what is wrong with you,
> and going to one who just hands you a box of tablets.

Winblow$ is the system that tells you something is wrong and gives you the
option of committing suicide or killing yourself.

Linux tells you something is wrong and then lets you fix it with your own
knowledge, a wide community, switch to something else that does work and
even if it can't be fixed you still get to keep all the peices

Can you tell i dont like winblow$? :)

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and
those who don't...