Automatic upgrade - incomplete kde?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 25 04:50:03 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Being a lengthy process, I continued working on the main laptop while it
> progressed, so wasn't giving it my full attention, but I think the
> download process happens while you are in rl5, dropping out to rl3 when
> the actual update happens.  But I couldn't swear to that.

If you just run "yum upgrade" or "yum update" (they behave the same by
default), that's not what happens. To achieve that, you have to:
yum --downloadonly upgrade
telinit 3
yum -C upgrade

On the other hand, preupgrade does drop you out of the running system, it
does the upgrade in an Anaconda environment.

        Kevin Kofler