Raising the bar

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 30 22:49:22 UTC 2009

Jud Craft wrote:
> The current workflow -- for most power users -- involves distributing
> live images, downloading them, creating new virtual machines, and then
> running straight from the VM-Live image, or installing the live image
> to the VM and using that.
>
> My proposed workflow -- for most power users -- would then involve
> distributing a VM image, downloading it, and opening it.  Voila.

You make several wrong assumptions:
1. You assume that power users all use virtualization and will use it to try
the software.
2. You assume that most of our users are power users.
3. You assume that people will not want to install the system on their
actual hardware after trying it in virtualization.
None of these assumptions are valid.

The thing is, in the real world, people need the live CD for various
reasons: testing the image on actual hardware, installing it to their
actual hardware etc. So we'd end up distributing BOTH a CD ISO and a VM
image, which means:
* twice the amount of space needed on mirrors and
* people who use your VM image to try out Fedora will have to download it
all over again to actually install it!

So I really don't see the benefit when you can just boot the CD ISO in your
VM. You don't even need to create a VM image in the first place. QEMU boots
fine with only "-cdrom foo.iso".

        Kevin Kofler