kde-sig voice conference call for tomorrow's sig meeting

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 3 01:28:17 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
> As an experiment, thought it would an interesting experiment to take
> advantage of fedora talk,
> http://talk.fedoraproject.org/
> as part of our kde sig meeting tomorrow,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/2009-11-03

I think that's just useless. IRC is working just fine, it allows
participating from everywhere (whereas voice requires a room which is both
quiet enough to talk undisturbed and noise-tolerant enough to allow talking,
such rooms are hard to come by in office environments like my university),
it allows for easy logging and it doesn't require a microphone. And the
"higher bandwidth" of voice communication is quite nonexistent if somebody
has to type up everything to IRC and read back everything from IRC, in fact
I think that'll kill communication entirely, so it doesn't make sense to use
both. (And I'm not even sure I can really talk faster than I can type. I
don't stutter when typing. ;-) )

I don't even have a microphone for my main desktop at the moment; as for my
laptop, its builtin microphone might also suck for VoIP, and having to shout
into it and getting the laptop to shout back from its speakers will also
worsen the "appropriate room" problem, so an external headset might be
needed for effective VoIP use there. As for participating with a regular
phone, a 1-hour phonecall to a foreign country (the US or UK) is going to be
a big money sink (and I can't do it from the university phones, they're
locked for calls to foreign countries), so that's not really a viable
option, I'm afraid.

I'll be at the university during the meeting tomorrow, I don't think I'll be
able to join over VoIP. People won't like me talking to my laptop. ;-)

        Kevin Kofler