Switch user not working

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Mon Nov 30 19:11:56 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Tim Wunder wrote:
>
>> When logged into KDE 4, and using KDM, I cannot login as another user.
>> When I try, the screen goes blank for a second and I'm returned to my
>> original, now locked with a password, desktop. Is there some xorg.conf
>> setting I'm missing?
>
> Sounds like the second X server trying to start is failing for some reason.
> See anything in /var/log/Xorg.1.log ?

Hmmm.../var/log/Xorg.1.log says:
<quote>
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
AllowEmptyInput.
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(II) Loader magic: 0x7b40
(II) Module ABI versions:
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
        X.Org Video Driver: 5.0
        X.Org XInput driver : 4.0
        X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(II) Loader running on linux
(++) using VT number 7

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed: Interrupted system call
</quote>

Not sure what that's telling me.

Tim