Modular KDE?

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Mon Aug 30 22:58:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been discussed on the list (I did search
2010 archives), I'm curious about people's thoughts on a modular
version KDE for Fedora?

That is, where one can install a basic KDE and then only the
components they want - packages are broken up into individual
programs, like "kontact" rather "kdepim". Of course, this doesn't stop
us from still using groups/meta-packages to install everything, or a
collection of programs (like @kde-pim perhaps?).

The benefit is the ability to have a more custom, smaller, faster,
snappier desktop. It also makes KDE applications more attractive for
non-KDE desktop users (they don't need to install a dozen programs to
get the one they need).

If you've never used a modular KDE system before, I highly recommend
you give it a shot!

Thoughts?

-c