discovery regarding Spambayes and KMail

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Wed Nov 10 16:27:07 UTC 2010

I've been running Spambayes since the early days when you had to
set it up as a proxy server and do a lot of configuration through
its web interface. A few versions back, Spambayes appeared to
start to be included in the standard packages of a Fedora-KDE
install (I could have details wrong here - but, I never manually
selected it in fresh installs - maybe it's a KMail dependency now
- I don't know); but, the standard install just sets it up as a
filter  without setting up the proxy server interface or the access
to the configuration; long-time Spambayes users know about database
bloat and decreasing efficacy of the filter, and the standard first
trick was to simply delete the databases and restart training. The
database is now down to one, is located at the root of your home
folder and is called ".hammie.db" - deleting this file will cause
it to be recreated the next time you run Kontact/Kmail with no
data - In less than an hour yesterday after only minimally
training on less than 50 messages, I went from dozens of spam
messages an hour not being classified as such, down to a very few -
overnight, my inbox only had about seven spams in it after 10+
hours, and that's after a very little training

If you've never configured Spambayes with KMail, it's worth a shot;
you'll find the anti-spam wizard in the 'Tools' menu
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA