Performance degradation after KDE runs for sometime

Richard Heck rgheck at comcast.net
Tue Nov 16 16:09:01 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 09:59 AM, Christos Lazaridis wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 03:47:06 pm Armelius Cameron wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 04:19:28 am Christos Lazaridis wrote:
>>> On Monday, November 15, 2010 09:00:26 pm Richard Heck wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll add text box scrolling as well. It gets unusably slow after some
>>> point. A quick fix I've discovered is to disable and enable the desktop
>>> effects (the other way around works just as well!).
>> What do you mean by text box scrolling ?
>> I observe also that sometime any text editor (Kmail composer window, kile,
>> kate) gets unreasonably slow and sluggish even for small amount of text. I
>> cannot reproduce it consistently. It cures itself at some point (possibly
>> due to login / logout or just restarting the application, I don't know).
>> Is this what you meant ?
> Exactly. And I've notived the performance of all the applications I am using
> degrades at the same time. Restarting them or logging in/out is a big hassle
> so I'm glad the enable/disable desktop effects works; otherwise I might've
> moved away from KDE until a fix comes.
>
> If people have ideas on how to try to track this down, I'd be more than happy
> to try helping.

No ideas, but by running ksysguard I've noticed HUGE CPU usage when I
try to logout. I can't see what is
using the CPU, since everything visual freezes, but once ksysguard
"catches up" after I cancel, I have a big
hump. Same goes when just using alt-tab to switch windows. I can see all
kinds of activity, even though I'm
only seeing window outlines on the screen. No desktop effects active;
four cores; 6GB; no swap.

But I can confirm the workaround: Enabling and then disabling desktop
effects fixes the problem.

Do we need a new thread to call this to the right people's attention? Or
should a bug be filed somewhere?

Richard