Building KDevelop3 RPM on Fedora 14

Sonic get.sonic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:33:50 UTC 2010

On 11/23/2010 11:50 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Sonic wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>>      I'm trying to build KDevelop 3.x RPM for Fedora. I wish to call it
>> kdevelop3 and be able to have it along with kdevelop (KDevelop4) that
>> comes bundled with Fedora. Does this 'wish' have serious flaws to
>> require considerable effort to implement?
>>
>> I've made the following changes to the SPEC file:
>> 1. changed 'Name' in the SPEC file to "kdevelop3"
>> 2. added --program-suffix=3 to configure
>>
>> Are the above changes sufficient or should I also add --prefix=SOME_PATH
>> to configure script?
>>
>> Also, how do I meddle with the .desktop entries in the launcher menus to
>> call this KDevelop3 (like "Qt assistant" and "Qt4 Assistant")?
> If you want it just for yourself, and don't care about co-installability,
> I'd suggest just skipping all that extra pain and effort.
Thanks..

Well, I do prefer having co-installability. Otherwise, I could compile
and install KDevelop3 in a separate directory - without creating any RPMs.

> Otherwise, you're on the right track (though I'd not advocate putting this
> into fedora officially, application configs are generally forward but not
> backward compatible).
Oh.. I'm not aiming to include in to official Fedora repos. I want to do
it for me and a couple of other developers who need this.
Let me see how I can tweak the .desktop files.

Thanks..

Syam