Building KDevelop3 RPM on Fedora 14

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Nov 23 18:20:17 UTC 2010

Sonic wrote:

> Hello
>
>     I'm trying to build KDevelop 3.x RPM for Fedora. I wish to call it
> kdevelop3 and be able to have it along with kdevelop (KDevelop4) that
> comes bundled with Fedora. Does this 'wish' have serious flaws to
> require considerable effort to implement?
>
> I've made the following changes to the SPEC file:
> 1. changed 'Name' in the SPEC file to "kdevelop3"
> 2. added --program-suffix=3 to configure
>
> Are the above changes sufficient or should I also add --prefix=SOME_PATH
> to configure script?
>
> Also, how do I meddle with the .desktop entries in the launcher menus to
> call this KDevelop3 (like "Qt assistant" and "Qt4 Assistant")?

If you want it just for yourself, and don't care about co-installability,
I'd suggest just skipping all that extra pain and effort.

Otherwise, you're on the right track (though I'd not advocate putting this
into fedora officially, application configs are generally forward but not
backward compatible).

-- Rex