kwebkitpart default or optional for F15+?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 12:06:34 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 09:21:13 pm alekcejk at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> kwebkitpart will be not installed as kdebase and kdenetwork dependency
> sinse KDE 4.6. So we should decide to add kwebkitpart to comps as default
> or optional.
>
> This is was discussed on KDE-SIG meeting
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-11-23/kde-sig.2010-11-
> 23-14.03.log.html 3 votes for default and 2 votes for optional, need more
> discussion.
>
> In KDE < 4.6 kwebkitpart was installed by default as dependency of kdebase,
> kdenetwork and konq-plugins. Users had possibility to select between KHTML
> and WebKit view modes in Konqueror. Some sites works better with WebKit.
> So if we decide to not install kwebkitpart as default then some users
> may lose needed WebKit functionality if they reinstall F15 system.

I agree with Kevin - one default HTML engine is what we really want, users can
install WebKit part. But on the other hand - WebKit really works better (even
technologicaly is just worst) in many cases and we can loose Konqueror users
completely by switching to Firefox and I don't want to support FF and KDE
integration.

So we have two options:
1. make WebKit default engine (or even Rekonq as default browser - I know, Kevin
will kill me for this option ;-)
2. make it easier to install WebKit part - for users it's not very convenient to
install something called kwebkitpart - A KPart based on QtWebKit - using
PackageKit...

R.