Mail popups in KDE 4.7.0

Lester M. Petrie Jr. petrielmjr at ornl.gov
Wed Aug 24 17:33:03 UTC 2011

Hi

Since I updated to KDE 4.7.0 (except for kdepim, which is 4.4.11), I am being driven
crazy with popup notifcations whenever email is delivered (or sent).  There are 2
different popups that are generated for each instance, and each time they are displayed,
a sound is produced.  I would really like to turn the popups off, but if that is not
possible, then suppressing the sound alert would be better than nothing.  The first
popup is:

USER: The MBox file was changed by
another program. A copy of the new
file was made and pending changes
are appended to that copy. To prevent
this from happening use lockin...

where USER is my user id.  There looks to be more to this message, but I can't find it.
The second message is:

USER: The file
'file:///var/spool/mail/USER'
was changed on disk while there were
still pending changes in Akonadi. To
avoid data loss, a backup of the
internal changes has been crea...

Again I am unable to find the rest of this message.  I had to downgrade kdepim because
the mail migration failed, and kmail2 would not start.  It complained about an invalid
mailbox, but I created a new user with no mailbox, and it wouldn't start there either.
KDE 4.7 solved some other problems I was having, so I really don't want to have to
backup to what I was using before, but these popups are very distracting, and when a
couple of hundred Fedora 16 update emails show up, the bottom right corner of my screen
is essentially worthless until they have all been delivered.  Once they came so close
together they caused knotify to go into a loop.

--
Lester M Petrie
865-574-5259
petrielmjr at ornl.gov