feedback on default plasma-desktop layout

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Aug 25 23:08:53 UTC 2011

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Rationale: folderview is redundant, as users ought to be familiar with
> file managers (namely dolphin or similar)

Most users don't even know what a file manager is (or in some cases even
what a file is, other than "that thing on my desktop", for that matter;
those are those folks who put files on their desktop rather than links).

> Rationale: Users can build up their systems from an empty slate, as
> desired, rather than being forced to deconstruct one before constructing
> their own

It's just one click to remove the widget if unwanted, adding it if wanted is
actually harder.

> Rationale: cluttered desktops are ugly and counter to the kde4 paradigm
> of order, place and function

Desktops showing the contents of the Desktop folder have been the standard
paradigm in computing since 1995, and are what users are used to.

        Kevin Kofler