KMail archive

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Feb 2 15:22:04 UTC 2011

Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

> not all existing mbox in ~/Mail/ are shown in my email reader, some are
> too ancient so I don't need them in that file

Thanks again.

But what do you do if you want to look at ancient email?
I don't see any facility in KMail to do that?

>> I have a file ~/Maildir/subscriptions (no dot).
>> I'm not entirely clear what this contains,
>> but it does seem that it is probably what I need,
>> so I'll google to see exactly what it does.
>> (I didn't see any mention of it in the KMail manual.)
>>

> the  .subscriptions or subscriptions file is created and managed by
> dovecot
>
> more info well only a bit in http://wiki.dovecot.org/MissingMailboxes
> under subscriptions and after in migration link

I'm using maildir format throughout, as I mentioned.
Everything is stored in ~/Maildir/ ,
with folders like ~/Maildir/.In-08 .
The file ~/Maildir/subscriptions contains entries, eg In-08,
exactly corresponding to the folders I see in KMail (minus the dots).

I have a folder ~/Maildir/Archive/ where I have put some ancient email,
eg the folder ~/Maildir/Archive/In-02/ is in maildir format
with sub-folders cur,new,tmp (the last two being empty).
But I see no way of listing the email in this folder in KMail.
I can view an individual email in the folder by "kmail --msg <filename>"
but this is impractical as there are dozens of files in the folder.

I looked quickly at the dovecot documentation you mention,
but didn't find anything helpful.
I'll have a closer look at it though.

Basically, to re-phrase my original query:
How can one "archive" old email in dovecot/KMail
so that it is not listed by a KMail client
but can nevertheless be accessed without too much difficulty?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net