KMail archive

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:08:32 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:22:04 am Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

> I'm using maildir format throughout, as I mentioned.
> Everything is stored in ~/Maildir/ ,
> with folders like ~/Maildir/.In-08 .
> The file ~/Maildir/subscriptions contains entries, eg In-08,
> exactly corresponding to the folders I see in KMail (minus the dots).
>
> I have a folder ~/Maildir/Archive/ where I have put some ancient email,
> eg the folder ~/Maildir/Archive/In-02/ is in maildir format
> with sub-folders cur,new,tmp (the last two being empty).

Well, if you want it to be accessible via IMAP it needs more than that. You
will have to follow the maildir format for dovecot. In my case, I have:
~/Maildir.Archive. I think with dovecot IMAP sub-folder is represented as dot.
So if you want something like this to show in Kmail:

Archive
	In-02 (this contains the mails)

Then I think you should have something like this:
~/Maildir.Archive.In-02/{cur, new, tmp}
Now you can put all the mail (one file for each mail under:
~/Maildir.Archive.In-02/cur/

This should just show up in Kmail. If you don't want in to show up, right
click on the Account Name (in Kmail Folder list) and edit local subscription
(or you can try also server subscription).

In the past, I found it easier to set up the IMAP folder like I want it via
Kmail, then look at the server side to see what's been set, and then copy the
mail files manually.

AC