Why can't I activate my wireless card?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 8 10:41:41 UTC 2011

On Monday 07 February 2011 21:14:52 José Matos wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2011 19:48:49 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Thanks to lshw I now have it identified as
> >
> > Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
> >
> > I gather that I need some firmware download but so far haven't managed to
> > find it.  Could someone please help?
> >
> > Anne
>
> I remember something like what follows for one such card:
> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras

Thanks.  That's too old, but it got me on the right lines, giving me some
clues of things to search for.  I started with "yum search broadcom", then
installed b43* (some of which were already installed), broadcom-wl and kmod-
wl.  Now the tools see my wireless network which is definitely a step in the
right direction.  but...

I see the Secrets dialog - endlessly.  I know the passphrase is correct, but
it disappears for a second or two then re-appears.  What's the next stage?